Suggestions and Complaints




We fully support your right to complain

We will deal with complaints as effectively and as fairly as we can, abiding by our policy and our contractual, legal and moral obligations. 

We ask that any complainants also show respect and fairness in their actions.  We will act appropriately in response to any complaints that are litigious, personal or threatening in nature.  

Please note we operate a zero-tolerance policy of any antisocial or threatening behaviour, or actions, by our staff or towards our staff.


Let The Practice Know Your Views

We welcome feedback, suggestions, views and comments from all our patients and their families.

Tell us what you think about our service and we will work with you to make things better.

We listen to and consider/act on every comment, compliment and complaint.

We promise that all feedback is treated fairly and that any complaint or negative feedback that you give will in no way affect the way we deliver our services to you.


You Can Tell Us Your Views By:


Practice Complaints Procedure

Anyone can see our complaints procedure, please ask a member of the team or get in touch if you would like to see a copy.


How To Make A Complaint

  • Step 1 Informal Stage: Discuss your complaint with the staff member concerned.
  • Step 2. Informal Stage: If the issue is not resolved or you prefer not to do this, please contact us via our secure online form for the attention of the Duty Manager, to discuss your concerns.
  • Step 3. Formal Stage: If the issue is still unresolved and you wish to make a formal complaint please let us know as soon as possible, ideally within a matter of days, by writing to St Lawrence Surgery, 79 St Lawrence Avenue, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 7JL for the attention of Duty Manager
  • Next: We will acknowledge that we have received your complaint within two working days and aim to have looked into your complaint within 28 days. At this stage you should be offered an explanation or a meeting with the person(s) involved.

When The Practice Looks Into Your Complaint It Aims To:

  • Ascertain the full circumstances of the complaint
  • Make arrangements for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Identify and share with you what the practice has learnt from the process and what we will do to make sure the problem does not happen again

Complaining On Behalf Of Someone Else

Please note that St Lawrence Surgery Partners keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality.

If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, the practice needs to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be required, unless they are incapable of providing this due to illness or disability.


Complaining To Other Authorities

We hope that if you have a problem you will use the Practice Complaints Procedure.

However, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us, or you are dissatisfied with the response received from us, you can contact any of the following bodies:


West Sussex Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS)

IHCAS is a national service that supports people who want to make a complaint about their NHS Care or treatment. In West Sussex it is delivered by Healthwatch.


The Care Quality Commission

The Regulatory Authority for all Health and Care services in the UK is:


NHS England

You can contact NHS England:


Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Should you remain dissatisfied following efforts at local resolution, you have the right to have your complaint considered by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) for an independent review of this case.  The PHSO is an independent body established to promote improvements in healthcare through the assessment of the performance of those who provide services.  The request to the PHSO should be made within 12 months of the complaint and the contact details for the Ombudsman are as follows:

Further details on taking your complaint to the ombudsman can be found on their website